Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Where to see a movie in a small town

Well Saturday night about eight o'clock
I know what I'm gonna do
I'm gonna pick my baby up
And take her to the picture show
The Drifters

When I was a child, I didn't realize the Castle Theater was such a unique place.  The Castle is a real movie theater, at the time the only theater in my hometown of New Castle, Indiana (there is a drive-in just outside of town).  It opened in 1935, before the days of metroplex shoeboxes where the sound from one microtheater leaks into the next.  I saw some of my favorite movies there, including the original Star Wars in 1977.  As I've written before, I've only returned to New Castle three times in the last twenty-one years.  On the last visit Julie and I saw American Wedding at the Castle.  The movie was forgettable, but Julie was impressed by the Castle and I couldn't help feeling proud that my hometown could sustain such a nice theater.

Except, it almost couldn't.  The Castle closed in January.  It was a real shock to many of us who grew up there.  The good news is the Castle is scheduled to open in March under new ownership.  I admire the new owners but I don't envy them; operating the only movie screen in a small city can't be easy.

I lived one terrible year in Stockton, in the Central Valley of California.  One of the few things I liked about Stockton was the Empire Theater, another historic movie theater.  They often showed classic films and I saw The Godfather there.  Some folks suggested the classic film route for the Castle.  I like the idea, but I don't know if New Castle has the population (18,339 in 2008) to sustain such a niche business.

Part of what defines a place is the kind of businesses it attracts and retains.  Cheap consumer electronics and a global trend toward urbanization haven't been kind to small towns and their movie theaters.  Movies are one of the things America has always done well and many of our fondest memories are what movies we saw, the theaters we saw them in, and who we saw them with.  A night at the movies is local entertainment that is culturally unifying whether we're in a theater in Newton, Iowa, or Middletown, Connecticut, or New Castle, Indiana.  Every small town theater that closes causes a disconnect bigger than the business itself.

The good news is that the Castle Theater will open again.  Maybe this is not a great thing in the grand scheme of economics.  But I'm relieved because in a world that changes more rapidly all the time, the theater's presence is a constant that links several generations.  And I hope for the best when the Castle reopens, because while the movies are still good, the movie theaters have really gone downhill.  And the Castle is a great theater.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post - thank you for writing it. If you're on Facebook, you should join the group we created to save the Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Chrissy. I'm in the Facebook group and have been enjoying all the positive comments there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott,
    Great website and great post. A native of New Castle, I spent seven years in Wyoming before moving back. It seems like my professional work aligns with your interests. I focus almost entirely on preserving a sense of place - and teach about the importance of place and unique quality of life as it pertains to community and economic development. At any rate, I loved your post and your involvement. I worked hard with a small group to impress upon the new theater operators to take on the project. I hope the community supports it. Thanks, Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Wayne. I would love some guest posts about matters of place. If this might be of interest to you, please contact me.

    ReplyDelete